Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Granny Flat?

A Granny Flat (Dependent Persons Unit) is a moveable building on the same lot as an existing dwelling, used to provide accommodation for a person dependent on a resident of the existing home. A Granny Flat is a fully self-contained home and can be designed and customised to suit a wide range of needs and personal preferences.

Do I have to be a Granny to have a Granny Flat?

No. “Granny Flat” is an affectionate term for a Dependent Persons Unit. As long as the intended occupant fits the criteria required for a DPU (occupant must have a dependency on the person/persons in the primary dwelling), then anybody, of any age, may qualify to have a Granny Flat.

How big are the Granny Flats?

At Premier, we can design your Granny Flat to suit your exact requirements. It can be as large as you want it to be or as small as you prefer. Most Granny Flats range from 4 to 15 squares. Granny Flats are available in 1, 2 and 3 bedroom designs and include a kitchen, bathroom, laundry and toilet.

What has to happen before you start building my Granny Flat?

Initially, we need to conduct a Feasibility Study, which includes a Site Inspection and the purchasing of relevant information, to determine whether building a Granny Flat on your property is possible. Once this process has been completed and has been deemed viable, we will commence to the Offer to Purchase stage and begin preparing a full set of plans and gathering relevant information.

How long will it take before I can move into my Granny Flat?

  • From Offer to Purchase to moving in will take approximately 6 months*.
  • Building time on site will be 120 days depending on the style and size of unit

*If a Town Planning Permit is required, extra time will apply for Council approval.

Will my Council allow me to build my Granny Flat where I want?

The Council regulations relating to the building of a Granny Flat are uniform throughout most Councils. It is a relatively straight forward procedure to get your Building Permit.

Will the Council want to send notices to my neighbours?

It is only if a Town Planning Application is needed that the Council may want to send notices.

What happens when Town Planning is triggered?

Town Planning may be triggered depending on zoning and overlays on the property. If Town Planning is triggered, our highly experienced Town Planning specialists will apply for a Town Planning permit on your behalf, and liaise with the council in order to obtain a speedy approval.

Can Premier Homes take care of the building permit & connections to services?

Premier Homes do all of this for you. We also arrange all service connections.

Are Premier Homes custom builders?

Yes we are. As well as offering a vast range of standard floor plans and designs, Premier Homes are highly experienced custom builders. We have our own in-house design and drafting team who can help you plan and design the ideal home or Granny Flat for you!

Can I make changes to the design of my Granny Flat?

Of course! We understand that the designs on display do not necessarily suit everyone. With the help of our creative team, your Granny Flat can be changed to suit your personal taste and needs.

Can I design my own home or Granny Flat?

Yes you can. You can mix and match various features from our existing floor plans, or you can have a totally unique design drawn up to suit your needs.

Can I choose the colours of my Granny Flat?

Yes. For most clients we find this to be one of the most exciting times of the entire project. You can choose colours for everything: Roof & Window colours, Painting– inside and outside, Bench tops, Cabinetry Doors, Taps, Carpet and Vinyl, Curtains and Tiles.

Do I need to do any of the work?

No you do not. We take care of everything, from the preliminary planning stages, liaising with councils, to building your new home or Granny Flat. All you have to do is move in and get comfortable.

What if I want to do some of the work?

If you wish to carry out some of the work yourself, such as painting or doing your own floor coverings, or you wish to do your own connections, then you may certainly do so.*
*Conditions apply

Are there any HIDDEN COSTS I should know about?

Premier Homes endeavours to make sure you are aware of every cost. Nothing is worse than a price that seems to be forever changing. Before you sign your Building Contract, Premier Homes gathers all the relevant information needed to give you a fixed price contract.

What are the standard payment terms?

The payment terms are the standard HIA stage payments, as follows:

  • Deposit: 5%
  • Base Stage: 10%
  • Frame Stage: 15%
  • Lock Up Stage: 35%
  • Fix Stage: 25%
  • Handover: Balance of Contract Price

Can Premier Homes relocate a Granny Flat?

Yes, we can. As specialists in the industry, we are highly qualified and experienced in building and relocating our high quality Granny Flats safely and efficiently.

Do you build on-site?

Yes we do. We use either our standard build on site demountable or permanent method for most projects, but can also employ the use of transportable modules for specialised cases; usually where there is a long travel distance involved.

What materials do you use?

We use a range of high quality first grade materials from reputable Australian suppliers, such as Colourbond roofing, Hardiplank cladding and high grade timber.

Do we build on stumps or concrete slab?

It is our standard method to build on stumps. Using stumps holds the advantage of being able to accommodate for building on elevated blocks and is also the practical choice for our moveable buildings.

Find the Perfect Granny Flat